Our state of health is the foundation for our life. Being healthy gives us the energy and vitality we need to live our life to the fullest. When we are healthy we feel motivated to set and achieve goals that we are passionate about. However, sadly many people don’t prioritize their health until they are affected by an illness. A lack of health affects us physically and emotionally, often blocking our enjoyment of life and affecting our self-worth.
As explained by Mahatma Gandhi: “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.”
So what can we do to achieve a level of health that inspires us and fuels our life? To begin with, we can start by paying attention to our daily habits, because it is what we do every day that truly impacts our health.
Eat a wholefood diet full of anti-inflammatory foods
Your diet is key for reducing inflammation in the body. Cutting out processed food and added sugar is the first place to start to transform your health. Eat plenty of fresh, wholefoods—organic/free-range meats, healthy fats, wholegrains, fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds. Your meals don’t need to be complicated, just based around real food.
Boost your diet further by adding in anti-inflammatory foods. Inflammation is the root cause of many diseases and foods that help our body to fight inflammation can significantly improve our health. Include these foods into your diet on a regular basis:
- Wild-caught salmon
- Chia seeds, flaxseeds, walnuts
- Darky leafy greens, especially kale
- Cruciferous vegetables, especially broccoli and bok choy
- Healthy oils: extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil
- Dark chocolate
- Tea: green tea, Matcha tea, Tulsi tea
- Herbs and spices: ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, rosemary, garlic, thyme
- Bone/Chicken broth
Optimize your gut health
A healthy gut creates a healthy body. In fact, leaky gut syndrome can contribute to many illnesses and symptoms ranging from autoimmune conditions to food allergies, joint pain or chronic fatigue.
Follow these simple steps to improve the health of your gut:
- Take probiotics or eat fermented foods daily.
- Uncover any hidden food intolerances.
- Take gut-healing supplements like quercetin, turmeric or L-glutamine.
- Consume bone broth regularly.
- Eat prebiotic foods like raw dandelion greens, onions or leeks.
To learn more easy steps to improve your gut health, click here.
Detox your body daily
Boost your immune system and prevent disease by gently removing toxins from your body on a daily basis. The following methods are effective and easy to incorporate into your daily routine:
- Practice rebounding.
- Dry skin brush before showers.
- Drink detox teas: peppermint, nettle, milk thistle, dandelion.
- Supplement with chlorella or brown seaweed.
Click here to learn more gentle and effective detox methods.
Use essential oils everyday
When used on a daily basis, essential oils are a powerful ally to help prevent disease and boost overall health. Essential oils can be used as a replacement for toxic household cleaners and chemical-filled perfumes or skincare products. By choosing to live a natural lifestyle you are able to reduce your exposure to toxins and this is vital to creating health. Essential oils can also help to boost your immune system and relieve stress. There are even oils that have been shown to destroy cancer cells.
- Essential oils of frankincense, thyme and chamomile, have been studied for their cancer-fighting properties.
- Lavender, chamomile, frankincense, rose and bergamot essential oils are powerful stress-relievers and help to reduce anxiety.
- Oil of oregano is as effective as many conventional antibiotics and it truly is “nature’s antibiotic”.
- Essential oils like bergamot, roman chamomile, lavender, lemon, sandalwood and thyme can be used to support the immune system.
Practice mindfulness meditation
Chronic stress is a risk factor for heart disease, poor immune function and even cancer. Prolonged stress can cause an ongoing increase in heart rate, elevated levels of stress hormones and an increase in blood pressure.
On the other hand, practices like mindfulness meditation have been shown to boost immune function. Deepak Chopra writes:
Meditation stimulates immune system brain-function regions. Mindfulness meditation has shown increases in electrical activity in the prefrontal cortex, the right anterior insula, and right hippocampus, all parts that control positive emotions, awareness, and anxiety. These are also the areas of the brain that act as a command center for your immune system. When stimulated, they make the immune system function more effectively.
Studies also show that meditation boosts antibodies in the body, positively affecting our immune system.
Simple ways to incorporate mindfulness into your day are:
- Wake up 10 minutes earlier and listen to your favorite meditation or meditation music before you start your day.
- Take a mindful walk by alternating between focusing on your breath and focusing on your surroundings.
- Practice yoga or tai chi.
- Practice being mindful and present as you perform household tasks.
- Take a walk in nature and listen to the sounds of the ocean, trees or birds.
A healthy body is a reflection of how we choose to live our lives. Make healthy choices every day and prioritize your health by creating daily habits that support your body, mind and soul—because health is the real wealth.