In summer our bodies will naturally crave smoothies that are full of in-season fruit and vegetables. It is the perfect time of year to keep your blender busy while you try out different smoothie recipes and flavor combinations. When making your own smoothies, the following guidelines will help you and your family to create a smoothie that contains a healthy balance of nutrients.
Making the ultimate smoothie
- Choose the liquid — water, coconut water, kefir, raw milk or dairy-free milk.
- Choose your greens — kale, spinach, rocket, watercress, romaine lettuce, chard, parsley, basil, mint, coriander.
- Choose your fruit — berries, banana, pineapple, kiwi, apple, or whatever is in season!
- Choose your fat/protein — hemp seeds, collagen hydrolysate, nut butters, avocado, coconut oil, flax/chia/basil seeds.
- Add superfoods — maca, raw cacao, bee pollen, goji berries, moringa powder, amla powder.
- Remember to rotate your greens
- If you have digestive issues, lightly steam fibrous greens like kale as they are easier to digest when cooked.
- If you are sensitive to oxalates, choose low oxalate greens such as romaine lettuce or watercress.
- For a low sugar smoothie use avocado only or berries
Have fun creating the perfect smoothie and we hope that you enjoy the following recipes.
Full of antioxidant-rich berries and liver-detoxifying beets, this smoothie epitomizes the saying “nutritious and delicious”.
We love the fact that this smoothie is creative and healthy plus it appeals to the whole family.
“A real meal in a bottle it’s full of fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, fibre, protein and probiotics!”
A vitamin-C rich smoothie that tastes a little bit like a slushy and is great for kids and adults alike. The bright pigments found in orange and yellow foods (like mango) act as antioxidants that protect our body from disease.
The hyrdating and refreshing combination of cucumber and lime is paired with leafy greens and low-sugar fruit. Boosted with matcha green tea powder this is an incredibly nutritious green smoothie that tastes great!
Fresh carrot juice , healing spices, your favorite dairy-free milk and frozen banana. This smoothie creates a powerful combination that will boost your immune system and delight your taste buds.
We hope that these smoothie recipes inspire you to come up with your own flavor combinations and to have fun with your blender!